02/02/2014

Topic 3: Once Upon A Time...






So Topic 3. I think this is the first topic of #2014Bloggerchallenge that I've felt a little nervous/apprehensive about but here it goes ladies and gents… 

So yes lets first address that I'm wearing glasses! Sadly these aren't for fashion I'm actually as blind as a bat (ssshh don't tell anyone) but yes I can't read small print, or anything long distance or short distance for that matter. Proclaimed by optician apparently my eyesight is the worst he had ever seen of someone my age (I have a lovely optician!) When topic three popped up in my inbox (and I put my glasses on) I was nervous to see that the topic was about all things bookey-not something we usually see on 'Subject Beauty' but all the same it's great to get out of my comfort zone and post something different...


So 'that book' the one every beauty blogger and there dog seems too own. I actually received this a leaving gift from some lovely thoughtful colleagues. So is it good? My answer yes and no. I truly enjoyed the skincare, and make up application tips. You can clearly see the book is very much marketed towards Bobbi Brown lovers and is heavily filled with Bobbi Brown make up and skincare. The imagery is beautiful, and the book is well written. I also like how the book shows a variety of skin tones, and is very tailored to each individual-a personal touch. 


Books, books and more books. So what you may not know about me is I'm a little bit of a bookworm. My favourite author of all time is Mo Hayder, I love her 'Jack Caffery' series which focuses on one detective 'DI Caffery' his story, and the story he is solving. I love how the main character DI Caffery isn't portrayed as the clean cut DI he should be, there's a deep darker side to him. Mo Hayder's writing style is gritty, dark, and urban with a touch of humour. If your into crime or thrillers I definitely recommend the series, seriously page turning, Mo has you hanging on too her every word. 


I also enjoy Neil White, Stuart Macbride and Karren Rose. Beware though all books by Mo hayder and these authors here are very gritty, and there's certainly no sugar coating, rainbows or unicorns. There all crime/thrillers which I love. And I personally love how 'real' they are. There's nothing like playing a guess game all the way through a book and finding out you were way off at the end. 


A little plug here too to Blogosphere magazine not necessarily a book as such but…if your a blogger or love reading blogs this magazine is a must. If you look in the second issue you may also notice 'Subject Beauty' makes a small appearance *wink wink*. Fantastic way of discovering new blogs and learning more about the people behind them. Everything is clean cut, well written with pretty images and photography throughout. 


Completely irrelevant but is anyone else a magazine hoarder pictured here is about a quarter of my collection. I just don't seem to get rid of them, I do often find myself browsing back at old issues for interesting articles I want to re-read and product reviews I wish to try. Cosmo, Company & Glamour magazine are my faves. 


So that's all. I hope this wasn't too rambly too read, I'm rubbish at describing a book in person never mind in writing so this really was a challenge.


What is your favourite genre of book to read? Who are your favourite authors? 


SHARE:

7 comments

beautylovesbooks said...

I don't actually own the Bobbi Brown book. I have to check out the Blogosphere magazine. I used to keep old magazines but now I just throw them away!

R. said...

Being able to see is always nice. I haven't had to wear glasses (yet) but there are actually a lot of cute frames now! Anyway, I've always been partial to the mystery genre but I like crime novels too. I haven't read anything by Mo Hayder so I think I'll have to look him up...

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment/stopping by, I do like it I do think it's very much aimed at all Bobbi Brown products though (which I'm not really a fan of) I think I need to take note from you haha and get rid of some of them I'm hoarding haha! xx

Unknown said...

Thanks for comment, I know I have to resist the urge to sing '…I can see clearly now' whenever I put my glasses on haha! There are I just never know what suits me really, definitely on the market for a new pair though. Ooh I love mystery books too, I do like reading other genres but I always seem to come back to horrors definitely check her out she's brilliant I don't think I've ever been disappointed in anything I've read by her xx

Unknown said...

Not horror *crime oh dear I can tell I wrote that this morning haha!

Makaela @ Uniquely Mickie said...

If you need more books to read, my blog includes book reviews anytime I get done with a good book. I also blog about fashion and music too. If you want to check it out.
~Makaela at www.makaelassuitcase.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Hi, thanks for comment, just followed on bloglovin can't wait to check out your posts! :) x

© Rinica Writes. | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig