23/01/2014

Am I a 'real' beauty blogger?



Has anyone ever noticed how many blogger cliche's there are…every beauty blogger seems to adore candles, own a Muji shop, and don't get me started on the Emma Hardie cleansing balm. For me it's really important that I don't forget who I am and lose my identity in the blogosphere, so today I have a light hearted post with a few cheeky confessions (shhh) from yours truly. After these confessions I can't help but ask the question…am I a 'real' beauty blogger?

1. I dislike candles 

Burn baby burn…no. just no. I purchased a White Company mint candle last summer, how many times have I burned it you ask? Once. Yup, uno, what a waste. I get no real sense of joy out of shopping for candles or burning candles. So reading reviews on the latest fig scented candle, or watching someone gush in there latest Yankee Candle haul video is just not my style. Sorry not sorry. 

2. I HATE figs or anything fig scented 

Talking of Figs. I dislike them. Diptique fig scented fragrance I hear you say? No thanks. I hate anything fig scented, genuinely hate. I hate fig candles, fig fragrance, fig body products…fig food. Even as a 'mature' scent I just can't ever see my sniffer (or taste buds for that matter) growing acquainted to it

3. I'm rubbish at nail art 

Yeah, steady hands I don't got. Sadly I have sausage fingers (cheers dad!) so precision detailed nail art ain't happening. Polka dots and stripes are about as fancy as it will ever get on 'Subject Beauty.' It is something I'm working on who knows, I may get better…*tumbleweed*

4. I hate washing my hair…

And will do anything not to (que quick spray of Batiste.) Blow drying, straightening, curling, sitting with a hair mask on just anything hair routine related is such a chore for me -perhaps having longer hair doesn't help…maybe I should go for the chop?

5. Pampering can be boring…

Body scrubbing, general de fuzzing, moisturising-so time consuming and not the funnest of tasks, all the products I use have to be quick, easy and effective.

6. I hate painting my nails

To coincide with number 3, I also hate painting them. Why is it when you paint your nails, you suddenly need a snack, pee, itchy nose anything to smudge those freshly painted nails.

7. I don't own any MUJI storage  

Now quite a controversial statement to make but can I be honest here and say I'm pretty happy with my standard make up bag. Don't get me wrong I can see the appeal, acrylic storage your products visible everything ordered by colour, size, use. But if I'm honesty I'm just not that organised. I keep all of my daily used make up at the top of my make up bag I reach in I get it…I'm sorted. Why fix it, if it ain't broken?

8. I've never owned a MAC lipstick

Dum dum duuuuumm. Shocker of the century here. Yes I love make up, I do. But as for lips, I've always been fairly happy with what the drugstore has to offer- if anything it's just getting better! There's so many similar shades to MAC lipsticks at the drugstore, I've lusted over MAC shades but I've always found something similar for half the price…sorry MAC lovers

9. I'm bad with eyeshadow

I'm just very uncreative in this category (I'm working on it guys) every 'look' I try to achieve ends up with the same result, I could use a blue, purple and green eyeshadow and some reason they would all end up with the same look!

10. I dislike the Emma Hardie cleansing balm…  

So Caroline said it's good and we all bought the stuff! I do love Caroline Hirons blog and tips…but I can't help but get the feeling how can one product work for so many different skin types? I've never really agreed with the 'one fits all' approach to make up or skincare...

So there we have it, what are your blogger confessions I'd love to know.
SHARE:

34 comments

Rosie said...

This is a really interesting post, I'd say you are a real beauty blogger and a darn good one because you don't just blend into everyone else. Just yesterday I was looking through my Bloglovin' feed and thinking that a few blogs were near enough the same even down to posting about the same thing on the same day.

I love candles, but can't be doing with these outrageously expensive candles like Diptique. I'm rubbish at nail art too and I also HATE washing my hair, it takes so long to dry it was still wet this morning when I woke up!

I'm glad that you want to stay true to yourself because blogs like yours are the ones I remember because they're not the same as everyone else.

Rosie x | www.eatreadglam.com

Kim said...

Love this post! I must admit I am with you on at least 8 of those!
It is also nice to see a fellow Sheffield Beauty Blogger!!

Kim xx
kimsbeautydrawer.com

Unknown said...

This post is great, really did make me smile :) xx
http://insaneaboutmakeup.blogspot.co.uk/

beautylovesbooks said...

Nice post! I hate reading about all the same products everywhere! I don't like candles too and I am terrible in styling my hair. Usually just wash it and leave it to airdry.

Unknown said...

So much fun to read! It's so boring to read about the same things all the time.. Like the Maybelline Babylips..
Love your blog!
xxx

Unknown said...

Great post hun, I think too many bloggers are concentrating on being the same as everyone else when really it's much more special to be different x

Sandy Noemy said...

loved this post, very cute. I really feel you on a lot of these, although i do have a muji and a few mac lipsticks, the rest are pretty spot on :)
let me knod if you would ever be interested in doing a collab or anything :) i'm somewhat new to blogging and i'm really enjoying yours.

sandynoemy.blogspot.com

Magee said...

good post!

Emily | PENNY RUGBURN 

R. said...

Hahaha I love this post. It's OK to like what you like and not necessarily like what other people like, so I'd say you're "real". Speaking of which, I didn't know that fig was such a thing. Maybe more with the UK bloggers? I never buy MAC either. Their lipsticks are nice, but not interesting enough to justify the price tag for me. I'd rather go drugstore or get something unusual (like Besame). I love me some Yankee Candles, but I'm not sure I could come up with enough to say in a video on the subject. :P

Hafsah said...

Love this post Rinica! It's so easy to think you have to be hyping about certain products to be heard in this community, but it's definitely about being yourself. Snap I own no mac lipsticks either and I can see the shock on people's faces when I tell them, somehow being a lipstick lover has become synonymous with mac lipsticks!

Hafsah
ispyglitter.blogspot.co.uk

Unknown said...

Hi Rosie, thanks for the comment you made my day what a lovely comment! I'm so glad you enjoyed my post, I just think in general it's really sad to see the blogs I once loved become so generic and samsie :( it is so important for me that I keep true to me review the products that I genuinely love and enjoy using rather then the products I feel I should be reviewing! Oh my gosh have you seen some of them £50 for a candle is just outrageous tbh! Mines the same sadly can't let it air dry unless I have tons of time to spare :( xx

Unknown said...

Hi Kim thanks for stopping by and comment really glad you enjoyed the post I was worried about being offensive I just see so many blogs I once loved becoming generic and it feels as though as a beauty blogger were all expected to like the same things! Your from Sheffield too!?? How uncanny I haven't met any other Sheffield bloggers yet either...just going to have a nosey at your blog now :D x

Unknown said...

Hi Nina thank you for the lovely comment, so glad you enjoyed the post I'm glad I haven't offended anyone I was worried about posting :) xx

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by, I know it's so sad to see the blogs I once loved all become generic I view one and view another and it's like viewing the same blog I think so many seem to have lost there identity! Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one I have nothing against candle lovers there just not for me! And I'm so uncreative with my hair I just struggle to do anything with it haha it's so unruly! Xx

Unknown said...

Thank you ever so much for the comment/ stopping by made my day so glad I've not offended anyone with my post. It's sad that so many blogs are becoming so generic it's so important to me that I keep on reviewing the products I'm loving and the products I think I should be reviewing :D... And by gosh yes the babylips! Xx

Unknown said...

Aww thank you so glad you enjoyed it, I think you've hit the nail on the head there, so many blogs I once loved that just seem to have lost there identity do important to me that I keep on reviewing what I love and not what I think I should be reviewing as you say special is different ;) x

Unknown said...

Thanks for the lovely comment chick :D, ooh that actually sounds really fun I haven't done anything like that yet :D x

Unknown said...

Glad you enjoyed chick :D x

Unknown said...

Thank you for the comment so glad you enjoy enjoyed I was worried about it sounding offensive! I just think its sad to see all the blogs I loved become so generic blogs sometimes its like they can lose there identity! Oh really? Not big on the figgy scents in America every UK blogger here seems to absolutely adore them! And trust me I once saw a huge youtube spend approximately 30 minutes discussing candles! I haven't heard if Besame? Ooh American brand maybe I shall have to google... Xx

Unknown said...

Hey Hafsah thanks so much for comment means a lot, it's sad to see so many blogs with the exact same product reviews on the exact same day it all becomes so samsie I really want to try and stay true to me and review the products I love not the products I think I should be reviewing :D. Really??? I'm so glad I'm not the only one there just so darn expensive for what they are and I've always found nice lip products at the drugstore - I'm not really sure how the lipstick lover and MAC connection came from! Xx

Anonymous said...

interesting post !! i agree with you dear :) sometimes its a bit boring to read about the same stuff over and over again :) Have a nice weekend doll ! xx
www.ambifashion.com

Unknown said...

Thanks for comment chick, it can i guess I just think its important to stay true to the products I love not the ones everyone else is reviewing haha! Have a nice weekend too :D x

Unknown said...

Really interesting post, I totally agree with you lots of bloggers do loose their identity and fall into the trap of everyone starting to 'like' the same things which can't be true! It's really important that we stay true to ourselves as the whole point of blogging is been able to share your true likes and dislikes etc! I myself sometimes read other peoples blogs and sometimes I feel pressured to go out and buy something that everyone seems to be blogging about but then im like no! why should I?

Great post hun! I'm actually quite a girlie girl and I love pampering, and candles and all that jazz aha and im not a massive MAC fan the only thing I own from MAC is ironically there lipsticks!

Jess x
www.momentsofbeautywars.blogspot.co.uk

LaaLaa said...

Haha, I love this. Even though I'm a total candle lover + have to wash my hair cos it's just so big and curly but I totally agree a lot of things end up being clichés I may have to steal this and give credit if I do. Great post.

Dolce Vanity

Unknown said...

I don't own MUJI anything either. They just seem so expensive >.< I'd rather get more makeup than something to store it in, lol x

Unknown said...

Thanks for comment chick, I always wondered how one product can work for so many different skin types! Couldn't have said that better myself, oh gosh I've done that so many times and when I really think about it it's like do I even need this haha! xx

Unknown said...

Aww same here my natural hairs super duper curly! Sadly I'm just not able to style it curly it frizzes so quickly in summer I plan to try and embrace my curls more though, awww that's great I did originally plan on making this a tag style post but I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested can't wait to see if you do write it :D x

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by and comment :D ! Haha yes I totally agree more money for more make up is always the way forward ;) x

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy this post. It can be hard to try to be unique in the blogging world when you need to get views as well. Finding that balance kind of sucks at first...and even now for me. I'm glad there's more of us "weirdo" bloggers out there ;D

Unknown said...

So glad you enjoyed it chick and thanks for the comment :D. Good point, and popular products get views but yeah funding that balance as a relatively new blogger is pretty difficult :(. Yeah haha us weirdo bloggers need to stick together haha ;) x

Yours Truly, NY said...

I love this post!! I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't burn candles haha. :)
Natalie♥
Yours Truly, NY


Unknown said...

awww so glad yo enjoyed Nat thanks for the comment, I have like no hate towards candle burners but just in genuinely gives me no feeling of excitement it just never springs to mind to burn one haha :/ xx

Unknown said...

Fantastic post! I do love burning candles but Fig is just so-so for me. I love your originality... and you are so pretty!

Unknown said...

Glad you enjoyed the post sweetie :D and aww… haha so not but thanks for been nice :D x

© Rinica Writes. | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig